Sunday, January 6, 2013

Puerto Peñasco - Morúa Estuary


I've been going to the "estuary" for as long as I can remember.  It's one of my favorite places on the planet.  Its basically a large bay that fills and empties with the incoming and outgoing tides of the Sea of Cortéz on a daily basis.  At extreme low tides you can almost walk across it.  I came very close to loosing an ATC once years back as incoming tides nearly stranded me on an island in the middle of the bay.  I believe there are only two homes on the estuary, both of which oyster farms.



Officially the "Morúa Estuary" is a this small (only about 2700 acres) but very important ecosystem hosts over 140 species of endemic and migratory birds that either nest, live, migrate to for the winter, or stop over enroute to destinations further south.  Once a haven for off roaders (yes, like me), it is now protected by motor vehicles which has created a very serene environment to walk or kayak or fish.



An osprey and his catch of the day.  Sorry for the crappy shot - it flew out from behind a bush and startled me. 


Condos were built on the other side of the estuary.


Two vultures - these birds are really really large.


Dogs love the estuary too.


A Long-billed Curlew (a type of Sandpiper) walks along the shore.


Interior of the estuary


Two American Oystercatchers - they are in the right spot - there are two oyster farms located here.  $3 will buy you a dozen oysters pulled right out of the water. 


Catching fish isn't only for the birds - this is what my dad caught on a recent trip:


Sea Trout and Pompano



The kids weren't quite as lucky but they'll keep trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment